At The Harley Street Clinic we provide a Pre-Assessment Service for our cardiac patients. We also have two dedicated Pre-Assessment Sisters who will assist the patient throughout and answer all their questions.
We understand for a patient coming into hospital, they may feel a little uneasy as they have to adapt to an unfamiliar routine and surrounding. Therefore, to help the patient feel assured we have two Pre-Assessment Sisters who will evaluate the patient’s general health and well being. They will prepare the patient for the procedure or operation.
The Pre-Assessment Sister will continue to support the patient during their stay at the Hospital as well as provide them with a post discharge follow-up appointment.
For patients who are going to have a procedure or a surgery it would be advisable to complete The Pre-Assessment Questionnaire prior to their hospital admission.
The Pre-Assessment Service provides three different pre-admission options;
1) The Pre-Assessment Clinic – it may be recommended for a patient to attend a pre-assessment clinic where they will undergo all appropriate tests and investigations required by our team. Our Pre-Assessment Sister will make an appointment with them prior to their procedure and go through their past medical history, any medication they are taking and their travel arrangements. This will include MRSA screening and may include other tests, such as, blood tests, ECG (tracing of the heart rate and rhythm) and relevant X-rays. A patient may also have a consultation with a Physiotherapist and/or Pharmacist if appropriate,
2) The Telephone Pre-Assessment – a patient may receive a telephone call prior to their admission by our Pre-Assessment Sister who will ask all relevant questions; this will also allow patients to flag up their concerns if necessary,
3) The Pre-Assessment Online Questionnaire – for patients living abroad or for the ones whom we are unable to contact or if it is just more convenient, it is advisable to complete our online questionnaire at https://preassessment.hcahealthcare.co.uk. This will help us to smooth patients’ admission process and plan their care.
The Benefits of attending the Pre-assessment Clinic
- Ensures a patient has a clear understanding of their procedure and expected outcomes
- Ensures patient’s level of fitness for surgery and anaesthetic
- Creates the opportunity for a patient to discuss any concerns and enables to develop their plan of care during their stay in the Hospital and discharge
- Provides easy-to-read advice for a patient to take home
- Ensures a shorter preparation time prior to treatment
- Familiarize the patient with the Hospital
- Initiates discharge support, if required
- Gives a patient the opportunity to discuss any administrative or financial queries that they may have with our Accounts Department
What to bring to the Pre-assessment Clinic
- List of patient’s current medications (including herbal, homeopathic, or over-the-counter medicines)
- Insurance details
Patients may wish to be accompanied by a family member of a friend on the day.
A patient can expect to spend approximately 2 to 2 ½ hours having their Pre-Assessment Clinic. It is therefore advisable to wear loose-fitting clothing as they may need to change for test.
How to get in touch
If you have any further concerns or questions or if you would like to speak to one of our Pre-Assessment Sisters before admission, please contact them directly on 020 7034 8342 (Monday to Friday 9am – 3pm) or via the cardiac floor on 020 7034 8340.
Visiting hours to the cardiac floor is everyday 8am-10pm.
Visiting hours to the ICU is everyday 10am-12pm and 4pm-8pm.